Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Sarawak + Dun Flock to Rome

I think I did wrote a lot on Miri, Sarawak and my admiration on the oil town. During my recent outstation to Bintulu, Sibu and Kuching, I surprised myself! I think I start to like Kuching more, and of course Bintulu and Sibu, even Sibu is flooded. Bintulu - being the gas town and recently I was impressed by the fact that Bintulu is the 3rd largest port in Malaysia, after Port Klang and Tg. Pelepas, Johor. The road condition is so impressive, wide road (I'm talking road in town friend!) and well-lighted (I think they dun owe money to the SESCO like what we did in Sabah haha.... municipal council owing to SESB.... hey, if government is a penghutang, who can be blamed for not paying taxes, fees etc?????? Lead by example man!!!!) The coastal road is nicely lit. Though the night life is not that booming (maybe I dunno the place...)... it gave a serene feeling indeed. Personally I have yet to discover the library... hope it's as nice as Miri's. Parkcity is the best hotel in town so far and given it's location near to the seaside, it's very scenic. Sibu - wow... the town centre is nice though it was flooded the time I was there. The centre is dictated by a nicely-paved square with some fountains and light, which looked beautiful at night. The town is still filled with walking people (they really walk or relax but not squatting suspiciously along the road side) even it's already 10pm (which to us EM people, it's sleeping time). Tanahmas Hotel and Premier is strategically located at the centre. Kuching - I gotta take back my comments about Kuching which I had lamented a few times to my friends. I mentioned that it's boring town with nothing to do at night besides strolling along the riverfront which is just lights and lamposts without life. OK, I take it back..... with action. Sometimes we tend to like something only after knowing it better and for my case, I made my assessment too early without having the whole picture. In addition, I tend to form first impression on sth I encounter (haha.... who dun????) for the first time. I remember the first thing I know abt Kuching is the airport. It's old and tired from even the outlook itself. SO, tat made the pathway for my not-so-fond memory of Kuching. However, this time around, I get to travel more around Kch and manage to sneak into the old town at night. Wow... the area is so enigmatic at night compared to let say... KK. (Sorry KK folks) I like the way some new cafe giving some facelift to the old street in Kch. The fusion of old architecture (sth like old Ipoh) with some new beautifully and artistically decorated cafes is so enchanting and it provide some great places for the youngsters to hang out. Bing Coffee Company is nice and I like the way the owner write the orders on the aluminium-like table with white-board marker on the order bar, which can be erased once the order is executed. Cool. Nice place with cosy sofas but mind you, most of the time, the sofas are reserved for regulars. Given the fact the place is more of a hanging out place, the patrons normally seldom leave early leaving lots of people have to leave due to unavailable seats. It will be even better if the place is being renovated to cater for patrons in the 2nd floor... open air... with flexible shades... that would be nice. Then there's SOHO and Grappa.
Both more like bistro pub type which unfortunately I haven't go in yet. Will definitely check it out next time around. The Grappa shot is a bit smeared due to my shaking hands with the camera. I'm starting to feel worried with the current condition of the congested Rome. The pope's death and funeral had inticed almost million of people flocking to Rome and almost paralyse the traffic system in Rome. I'm quite worried that I'll have trouble getting tickets to Rome from Florence and all the places will be overbooked by the time I reach Rome. Of course, increasing rate is one thing the availability is another thing! I have to rethink or even replan my scehdule to visit Vatican City. Secretly I just hope that whole election process ends ASAP then it will be nice. But I know... chances are slim. :(

No comments: