Friday, July 01, 2005

Initial D

OK, 1st of all, I have to admit I never read the original comic series. And I never watch Fast and Furious. Hence, I have nothing to compare with regarding this movie. What can I say? As usual anthony wong is his usual self. I think it's always assuring to have him as one of the cast in a movie. He can portray anything, if it's not the best, it's enough to outshine others or "enough homework". Again, Chapman is his usual comical self, providing most of the comic relief of the movie. However, sometimes it's a bit too much, e.g. the scene where he vomit after being a passenger of Jay's driving... the 2nd and 3rd time vomitting action is just overdoing it. No comment about Jay's acting but I felt that he should leave the acting to those who knows better and concentrate on his portrayal of the "selamba" character. The later scene whereby he cried gosh.... he just can't do it! And that scene is not short man!!! Tears and all??? After that scene I think it's better Jay continue to sing instead. And what happen to the only female cast? I believe there're more cutie Japanese gals around. Oh.... mayb it's me. I'm getting old now. Gotta blend in to the younger crowd huh? Speak or rather blurt out words unclearly you want to speak like Jay or maybe speak like Edison in monotonous tone..... Abt Edison, I prefer Shawn indeed. Like his goatee and moustache, suits him.
However, the way the movie is shot is interesting. I dun know how the car racing scene fared compared to Hollywood's Fast and Furiuos but I quite like it. I dunno whether I'm oversensitive or watever.... but I noticed some elements of Mou Gan Dou in the movie... notably the 1st racing scene between Chapman and Shawn. The buddha statue reminds me of the same in the 1st installment of the Mou Gan Dou trilogy.
Though the movie is entertaining but I think it actually highlighted the problems faced by the HK film industry. It's still those few others around, is there any other actors in HK??? No wonder they have to find someone in Taiwan. Not to say Jay is the right choice but he's really a crowd puller. Good marketing ploy here.

No comments: