Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Do you listen to music or read anymore?


(That was a great album, mentioned in Ahmad's blog as well. Ray's duet with Diana Krall is flawless, and another track to be paid attention to is his duet with Bonnie Raitt, Do I Ever Cross Your Mind)

Yup, it's related to Ahmad Izham's posting in his blog. There's this entry of his made me reflect on what's happening to me as well. He mentioned the dying habit of teenagers nowadays, i.e. listening to music due to more choices of entertainment available now. But I think the habit got hit most is reading. Myself for instance had find it hard to sneak out some time to indulge in the rich world of books. Even if I have time, I would choose to read lighter material or shorter ones for that matter so I can finish it faster and opt for other entertainment mode, yup... the idiot box.
And another thing about listening to music, it's very true. When we bought CDs in the heydays, we read every single lines, captions of the album and even the lyrics of each songs. I was always amazed by myself in memorizing, whether intentionally or unintentionally the lyrics of the songs I like. That's why during karaoke session, when the music starts, I can sing without much difficulties. Maybe it's the age thing and hence, our hard disk hardly have any space to slot in new memories. But lyrics aside, like what Ahmad mentioned, we seldom get those goosebumps when we listen to the songs in the albums we bought. I think it got to do with our financial state. I mean, when we were young, buying CDs (oppss... it should be casette) is not something regular and hence, we tend to treasure them more. We read every page of the lyric booklet and immerse ourselves in the nice photos but nowadays songs can be downloaded anytime and pirated CDs are everywhere. Can we say it's like taking it for granted? Hmm..... gonna listen to some goosebumps-inducing music tonight.

No comments: