Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Drink Drank Drunk


I watched the 7.15pm show of Drink Drank Drunk by Miriam Yeung and Daniel Wu. Being a film by Derek Yee Tung Sing, it's actually kinda under his par but enjoyable as a whole. For demanding audiences who hope something like One Night in Mongkok - Mong Kok Hak Ye or Cest La Vie, Mon Cheri - Sen Bet Liu Ching, they will be disappointed. But with standard romantic comedy format, there's nothing much you can do (Keeping the Faith with Edward Norton and Ben Stiller is exception so OK, I am biased here cox I like Derek). It's NOT like I LOVE the plot or something like that but I guess it's an entertaining watch and I felt good being able to pull off some laugh along the movie. What else can you expect from a HK movie nowadays? Miriam and Daniel had quite some chemistry and being the 3rd movie of them pairing up, they got the "mek kei" we talk about. Miriam is her usual self but I guess she toned down her comedic type of acting, which is good. Well... even Sammi Cheng opt for meatier role now, I guess you need to be versatile and diversified in roles choosing. But I want to watch "Sam Gang" as it was being touted as Miriam's breakthrough role.
Daniel is his usual handsome attractive self, perhaps too much despite dressed rather snoobish but that can't really hide his charm. The limelight was stolen by Alex Fong Zhung Shun by his "dai lou" character, which surprisingly departed from his usual cool and serious roles but instead brought most of the comic relief for the film. Guk Dek Ciu portrayed the campy gay character which had been all the while being stereotyped in most HK movies. Maybe it's because of his rather plump physique, it reminds me of Eric Tsang's role in "Gem Ji Yuk Yip".
I am listening to the HK radio now and the 3 most awaited movies will be released soon. "Perhaps Love" a musical by Peter Chan Ho Tsun (of Tim Met Met fame) with Jackie Cheung, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Zhou Xun and the male lead in the hoo-ha Korean series, Jewel in the Palace; "Cheong Hen Go - Everlasting Regret" by Stanley Kwan Gem Pang with Sammi Cheng (too much attention had been given to her till she outshines her male co-star) and ...... sorry I forgot!!! It's my age getting in again.

No comments: