Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Politikus? I salute this particular politican

OK, if you are familiar with the local state political scenarios, you may know who am I referring here. He was one of those few who rose from bottom in such a short time, being elected as cabinet minister after winning his first state assembly election and I saw him on TV taking oath in front of the state ruler. Being the bad-mouthed me, I still remember I made fun of him when he was "melafazkan" sumpah. Yup, the bad me laughed at his squeaky voice. And that was very bad, thinking that we share the same surname.

However, I felt ashamed last Sat (not to say I was not ashamed of my other wrong-doings) when I saw him spending some quality time shopping with his wife. He was so simple in dressing, just a polo T-shirt with a simple jeans and a sandal, flashing his smile but not the pretentious-oh-they-recognize-me type which normally celebrities will condone on their fake face! He was totally blend-in with the crowd with ease. Definitely something different from the cliche stereotype perception we have (sorry... should I drag all of you in???) of politicians (or rather politikus). He was so down-to-earth and I was instantly impressed and at the same time embarassed thinking that I made a mockery of him before. I started to think of his current portfolio in the state government, a portfolio least desirable if you wish to lead a hassle-free and bo bun te minister-life. He has to deal with the chronic problem that had been bugging the state and especially the hometown of both me and him, i.e. the electricity and water supply. And mentioning about electricity, I had 3 times disruption on the same day on Sunday!!! Not to mention the some people in Sandakan had to endure a week plus having no power supply!!!! We Sandakan people always made fun of ourselves, saying that "no problem, we are now Nature City mah". Really go back to nature! What's next?
The poor state of investment, not to say foreign but the local domestic capital is definitely had the biggest factor to do with the pathetic condition of basic amenities. Well, I am not a businessman but I guess that's pretty obvious. So, praises aside, I think our Mr. Down-to-Earth has tonnes of burden on his shoulder and I really hope he can manage and turn the table around. So, Mr. Tan..... all the best to you!!!

No comments: