Sunday, September 18, 2005

an eventful holiday weekend



I went to the Whitewater rafting in Padas on Sat and wow.... it's amazing! I'd never done anything like this before so it's the 1st time and like they always say.... it's always memorable the first time hahaha...
There were 4 of us, including the fun Kiwi I hosted, Mark, J and Mavis. The whole program actually spanned a whole day, from 7am till 7pm. We were picked up in a travel van to Beaufort, from where we took a train to Pangi. OK, the travel van is comfortable enough but the train journey was a TORTURE. Being touted as the last surviving train service in Borneo, the train was described as "dinasour" age monster by Mark and I totally agreed. The train is very old, purported to be in operation since before WWII. It was jerky (no pun intended) and loud all the way; not to mention noisy. But tat aside, I think it's a GREAT journey hahahha.... tat is after the rafting thing. The whole train journey took 1.5 hrs. Hot sticky weather made it even more unbearable. We reached the Pangi station and there were lots of other rafters as well, mostly from HK (spot-on recognized from their Cantonese). After briefing on some techniques and safety measures, we were on the raft!!! It was exciting and our experienced rafter was the 1st one to be thrown to the water when we were at our 1st rapid (sorry dude for revealing this hahahaha....). The rapids came with funny names, BBQ Rapid (coz it's the last one before we have our BBQ lunch), Cobra, Washing Machine, etc. We did some body rafting as well, i.e. rafting using our life jacket. Yea.... I'm a non-swimmer but with a life jacket, I have no problem trying. All in all, it's a fun trip and definitely worth the 150 bucks we paid. However, I din take any photos so I posted a pics I took from the Sabah Tourism website.

No comments: