Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Accomodation in Jalan Malioboro, Yogyakarta

OK, those who know me know that I am a cheapo who likes to stay in cheap accomodations. My record is a USD2 for a single room without bathroom, Jasmine Lodge in Siem Reap, Cambodia. However, for my defense, I find that my penchant for cheap accomodation is not pure price indeed. I look for something special and unique about the place and in the end, you will find the charm of these places are way much better than the generic feel and outlook of those luxury hotels. Having said that, I never say luxury hotels are to be despised in fact I love them. It's just that I can't ALWAYS afford a higher priced accomodation now. So, yeah... back to the core of it, I am a cheapo haha....
OK, after splurging myself staying in Ministry of Coffee for 2 days, I moved down nearer to the main street of Yogyakarta, Jln. Malioboro. My 1st stop is this charming little homestay lurked in one of the alley along Jln. Sosrowijayan called Dewi Homestay. Apparently the lady-in-charge is Dewi and she's a nice and warm lady.
it's about RM30/night
Yes, some may say it's scary-looking haha.... The mosquito-netting I guess. The toilet is covered by the white sheet instead of the normal door. The window? Better not cox it's actually a wall. Creative interior design?

The door to my room. There's actually a story behind it; the day I moved in, it's the final match of Champion League between Chelsea and MU and there was a giant screen erected near to Dewi Homestay!!! Since I need sleep for morning excursion to Borobodur the next morning after that, I decided to move to other place. But I checked in and showered already so how much do I have to pay? Dewi said, no need. I can leave!!! Just like that!!! So, I bought a bottle of mineral water from the kitchen area and when I wanted to pay, Dewi was nowhere to be found. I shouted her name and tell her I wanna pay for the water, she just shouted back asking me just put on the table. Wow...yeah, I know tat's not a lot of money but still....

So I moved to another place, this time it's Bladok Losmen and Restaurant, another lovely place also known or its resturant.

this one is about RM50/night

Simple, with nicer toilet, with door this time! But the best is yet to come!!! Cos Bladok actually comes with a swimming pool!!!!!!!!!!!

See... that's what I call charming!!! Yes, you saw it right, the pic above is showing a church at the back of the hotel. And yes, churches exist in Yogyakarta though it's predominantly Muslim town.

And of course, the "best"est is yet to come!!! To me, the best accomodation is Setia Kawan Losmen which has nicely decorated rooms at the same price as Bladok sans the swimming pool though. But the deco and styles are there and it's really worth it. The air-cond room is just slightly more expensive, about RM70 if I remember correctly.







The room complete with tribal traditional art deco all over the wall and ceiling comes with air cond as well!!!!


If you are interested in Setia Kawan, make sure you make booking ahead, which I didn't. They are ALWAYS full.

2 comments:

Maverick SM said...

You have become an Indonesian ambassador.

CK said...

mave, in some ways, i became ambassador for vietnam and cambodia too. love those countries.

malaysia? i promote borneo a lot. now i guess the name malaysia is self-promoting. the sodomised land.