Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Died of Boringitis - June 28, 2008

The most torturing thing to do on Saturday, which is the perfect rest day for a working class slave like me is having to attend some government-organized or GLC-organized seminar/training/etc or sth in the same vein. Yes, I believed it’s karma which made me having to attend to some of those and like the title said, I died of boringitis due to that.
It was a safety training, occupational health and stuff and I believe some of you will know what kind of training and the organizer of the one that I attended. It’s not like I had nothing better to do on a beautiful Saturday but it’s actually a pre-requisite to enter the “prestigious” manufacturing/plant side of our country’s cash cow. So, I was left with no choice and had to succumb to the dreading requirement.
I am not undermining the importance of safety awareness especially in such highly hazardous sites but if you ask everybody who works or worked in those sites, the trainings mostly are boring. And it doesn’t help having a speaker who just reads sentences by sentences from the slides on the screen!!! And tell you what, it’s a whole day training session and half-way I hope somebody just kill me.
But I can’t let my time pass just like that and I always think that it’s very rude to sleep in from of your speaker (well…lecturers or teachers too!!!) but it’s really tempting to do so. I resorted to doing some 5S for my handphones. (See….how good I am learning from the training, 5S lah katakana!!!!) I did delete old messages, of course including those which was supposed to be KIV, for further actions or those just too painful and wound-opening types that deserved to be deleted long time ago. Of course there are lots of contacts to be updated and deleted as well, you know….those which sometimes you saved after bumping into and telling yourself that you might come out yumcha next time but end up being buried in no time and forgotten? And doing just that on two phones did take quite a lot of time and the side effect is that the battery got weak in a short time. Having said that, I still think that the tasks finished too early as it only lasts until the time for 1st break, about 1030am. And the course only ends at 530pm (the schedule said 6pm but I seriously doubted it)!!!!
Typical Nescafe and nasi goreng got us pass the tea-break and the torture continued. I came up with other things to do, i.e. planning my schedule for the month of July. It’s actually a good opportunity to do serious planning as next month my schedule gotta be extremely tight and lots of arrangement needed to be done due to continuous travelling and also some events/seminar preparation & organization.

You must be wondering why they have to depict the decibel chart in such a manner above right??? Or the illustrator of the safety booklet know how boring is the course and decided to throw in some pictorial jokes???

The most dreaded part of the course is the exam at the end. The nightmare of darkening spaces on the answer sheet was not something worth remembering and reenacted on that day.

As much as I hated the time "wasted", I was glad that I managed to use the time to do something productive though I announced that I died of boringitis at the start of the day. Anyway, the anticipation of the treasure hunt on the day after that (Sun, June 29) revived me back though it was a lacklustre performance of our team..................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, totally agree with u that's it's kinda disrespectful to whomever is standing in front giving lectures/talks/etc if one dozes off. However, I couldn't help myself when I was attending the road safety class when I was trying to get my driving licence yrs ago. It's worse when I was seated right next to a solid wall where I can lean my body &/or head against.....Thank God Lily was with me that day so she just nudged me when the lesson was over! Such an angel.
Sherry

CK said...

haha... understand tat.
and it's even worse if the speaker is those "kind/good-natured" type that you can't find a thing to dislike him and hence you couldn't justify wanting to sleep hahaha