Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Breaking and Entering (2006)


Never heard of this movie until I saw the DVD in Miri. With Jude Law, Juliette Binoche and Robin Wright Penn helmed by Anthony Minghella, I bought it without hesitation though I am prepared to a rather slow pace of plot having watched Cold Mountain and The English Patient.
Not a movie that draws out an absolute liking or hating from me. I mean the actors were great no doubt. Penn and Law's portrayal of a couples drifting apart is so real, the minimal exchanges of verbal sparring freeze the scenes as it should be. The characters are not the most likable ones especially Law is back again as the rich white guy who's so hard to hate despite all his wrongdoings, or rather his "breaking and entering". I really agreed with some of the reviews who calls the movie as sufferring from the expectations of the movie to be a teaching material with its black and white morally PC characters. Minghella's style of symbolises everything didn't help very much too though I may attribute that to his own style. I started to think he's having his own preferred actor as well, with Law and Binoche both appearing in his previous work before this.

It's interesting to see some parkour scenes here as well. Since shown in the previous James Bond movie, parkour gained quite a prominence feature in every mode of media.

The movie centres around King's Cross, London which is turning into a centre of the massive urban relanscaping effort. Camden's Lock was featured in a great deal as well and brought back my memory of my previous visit.

What keeps lingering :

1. You maybe lost and some unknown people may know better than you like the hooker character tried to portray. The fox and the fox skin left in Will's car is another testament of Minghella's symbol-using tendencies.

2. Love is no ordinary crime.

3. Lie. Steal. Cheat. Love. All intangible mess.

No comments: