Tuesday, June 05, 2007

How to Sell Your Country?

I guess everybody knows that it's Visit Malaysia Year 2007 targeted to lure in as many tourists as we can this year but the dampening news is that the 1st quarter target had not been met and it's worrying every single party involved. This couldn't be worse when the country has been plagued with discouraging news on cheating holiday homes, bad attitude and overcharging cabbies (sorry to those who's not involved but the bad seeds are just too many of them) and tonnes of other bad incidents.



So, besides those stuff, the most important thing is how to promote your country to other visitors? I mean when I go travelling, many people who's never been to Malaysia asks me what to recommend in Malaysia? In KL to be specific. And I was asked in places like in the middle of admiring the grandeur architechture of Angkor Wat or in the midst of enjoying the serenity of the natural wonder of Ha Long Bay boat trip.... and I have to churn out something to recommend in KL? Hmmm.... KLCC Petronas Twin Tower? Midvalley? Berjaya Times Square? From the line of example I listed you will notice it's the past-glory nominee for the once-biggest, once-largest or once-tallest man-made building with pathetically minimal soul or uniqueness to boast about. So, I recommend Taman Negara, Pahang or Melaka (or irritatingly referred to as Malacca) if they only have time in Peninsula Malaysia. Or if they have more time, go explore BORNEO!!! OKOK.... I may be biased being born in the enchanting Borneo myself but I guess no one will challenge the fact that Borneo has more special things to offer right?


OK, back to the topic, how to sell your country? And I am not referring to selling confidential secret-spy espionage we watched in the TV or movies ages ago... I mean how every country promote themselves in their tourism campaign?


To start with, Malaysia always use this tagline : MALAYSIA, TRULY ASIA (We even have our Datuk CT to belt out the most overplayed tune in national radio and TV!) Of course by using that we mean to sell our harmonious multi-cultural society




What other countries choose as their tagline/slogan? Here're some of them:

1. Thailand - Amazing Thailand





Without doubt, Thailand is amazing. Amazing land of smiles, amazing friendliness of its people, it's downright amazing. Slogan wise, it's simple and straight to the point.

2. Singapore - Uniquely Singapore




The sour grape of Malaysians will make fun of this slogan as what's uniqueness? It's their kiasu-ness of course. However, again it's the classic example of simple impactful tagline. And they have a Chinese version also which is brilliant for targetting the mainland Chinese citizens with so much money to spend! Hey Malaysian toursim topgun, don't just aim at the Middle-Eastern Arabians, the mainland Chinese are rich with cash now!!!


3. Philippines - Wow Philippines



Lack of ohmppp....if you ask me but maybe because I haven't been to the Philippines. However, it's a simple effective one.


4. Vietnam - The Hidden Charm

Oh... I wish it to remained hidden as with Myanmar too because too many tourists will hurt the charm definitely. So, it's kinda ironic huh cox I am one of the tourists even I tried to distinguish myself in every single way.

5. Laos - Jewel of the Mekong



Not an effective one if one does not know what is Mekong or understand the aesthetic beauty associated to the pulse of the Mekong Delta. Having said that, it's a nature paradise and it's my target.

6. India - Incredible India


Nice effective tagline and it's definitely perfected by the head tilting gesture of the Indian speaker. The hand-tatoo not to be mistaken to be Madonna's in her video Frozen, is spot-on. Like the whole concept of Incredible India. One of my friend visited the Northern India and the pics he took are amazing or.... incredible. Definitely a must-go.

7. Indonesia - The Ultimate in Diversity



Too simple and too long, a mouthful!!! It can do better I believe.


8. Myanmar - Mystical Myanmar



Given the house arrest of Aung San Syu Kii and the unexplored mystique of Myanmar, it's a winning simple slogan.

9. Cambodia - Home of World Heritage



I have no complain about Angkor Wat being the World Heritage but banking on that to the slogan is like putting everything in one basket. There were many world heritage now and more should be emphasised on other things Cambodia can offer. Having said that, I LOVE Cambodia especially Angkor Wat to the extend I had been there twice this year hehe.....


And for me, the winner is from the Down Under with their offensively-creative "Where the Bloody Hell Are You?" campaign which drew criticism and ban from the UK, the supposedly mother-country of the nation.

So, where the bloddy hell are you?
wake up and go travel somewhere else!!!!

No comments: