Sunday, June 03, 2007

Stranger Than Fiction


People who knows me will know that I am not taboo towards many things and the topic of death is one of them. I even imagine how I want my funeral to be done. I also mentioned the topic in my previous posts throughout this blog. However, dun mistaken me of being someone who's dark and pessimistic about life or having some obsession with dark gloomy outlook of life because I am just the opposite.

OK, back to the movie. The premise sounds promising. It's about an ordinary (which translates to mundane, boring and uninspiring - hmm... very much sounds like me too....) man's life was interrupted when he heard a voice narrating his own life, things that happening in front of him. He was given the shock of his life when the narrating voice said that he'll be killed.

Will Ferrell is a good casting call as the title character Harold Crick though you can't help but feeling funny looking at his rather wooden facial expression here as opposed to his more animatic self in his strings of slapstick comedy i.e., Talladega Night's and Anchorman. Emma Thompson is enchanting (especially to me...) with her British accent as the narrator who was actually an author. The other big name casts includes Maggie Gyllenhaal who never fail to impress, Dustin Hoffman as the professor and did his usual mettle and Queen Latifah as Emma's assistant.

So, what will you do when you know you are going to die? It's a very hypothetical questions or the starting sentence of a cliche-to-death so-called self-motivation books but it's still worth to be given few moments to ponder. No point wondering how the movie ends but worth telling each and everyone of us that we are the hero of our movie and we are the director and scriptwriter as well hence, do it on your own.
Also worth mentioning; the director is Marc Forster who brought us Finding Neverland which was one of my favourite Depp + Winslet movie. It's indeed even more interesting to know that he has completed the filming of the adaptation of The Kite Runner and set to be screened late 2007!!!! Love the book and can't wait for the movie.

No comments: