Monday, November 19, 2007

Bravo Patricia - Errmmm.... Sandakan Boleh!!!

The snippets below is from the Sunday Star 18th Nov 2007. (The title with the errmmm..... didn't mean to doubt Patricia's achievement but merely the writer's hesitation to succumb to the cliche-used-to-death mantra of the self-fulfilling-prophecy-esque nature of Malaysian....so, ignore the internal dilemma of him)


KOTA KINABALU: A Sabahan’s quest to become the nation’s first female astronaut is getting the backing of women’s groups in the state.
They are certain that RMAF pilot Kapt Patricia Yapp Syau Yin will do the country proud if she achieves her space travel dream.
They said Kapt Yapp, one of the nation’s first female MiG-29 fighter pilots, had the “right stuff” to become an astronaut and hoped that she would be given a chance, just like the country’s first Angkasawan Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor.
Kapt Yapp, 30, who won the Ratu Inspirasi contest on TV3 recently, said she hoped to become Malaysia’s first woman astronaut.
She said the country’s recent success in sending the first Malaysian into space had opened the eyes of many people, including herself, and she hoped to continue that success.

Salute to Patricia who had made it to become the first female MiG-29 fighter pilot though I am not convinced that being the first female Malaysian space tourist will do anything to enhance her credit or achievement.


Why I posted her here? She's actually from Sandakan, yes... the tiny hometown of mine plagued by power disruption endlessly. And yes, she's from my alma mater as well... SM Sung Siew!!! I seriously think the school now needs to find more information about her and let her be the school model for the students.


I remembered her as my senior and also my superior during the Majlis Pengawas time... She was the Ketua Pengawas (HP-Head Prefect) under the supervision of Mr. Michael Tan, who's the Guru Disiplin. She's the Head Prefect for the whole school and that time I was one of the small-prawn under her in-charging of the afternoon session, i.e. Remove Class-Form 2, together with Gavin, Rowena and gang. Her trademark is her big friendly smile constantly plastered on her face. Below is the picture of her in the Star....


Well... I'm wondering should I dig out her old picture from the school magazine but fear that it will be violating her privacy. Anyway, proud of you Patricia!!!

Further reading..... http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/11/18/nation/19508568&sec=nation

5 comments:

Cruel Angel said...

y0... I remember her because when I was in Form 1B. Our school was having spot check from class to class.

She is so LUCKY to check my bag because I just played badminton the morning before and more SMELLY shirt inside the beg.

She than just smile and ask me any more prohibited area :)

Kekeke... I think she got a brother call augustine?

CK said...

yup. younger bro augustine and also an elder bro ignatius, commercial pilot i think.

Anonymous said...

“I hope it will be an objective and professional assessment in the event of screening potential candidates and that she will not be turned down just because she is a woman,”

she won't be turned down just because she is a woman, she will be turned down just because she is not the right colour.

Anonymous said...

Bravo to Patricia. Proud to see some Sandakanist or even Sung Siewiest makes "star".

Cruel Angel said...

ky sounds familiar, izzit some famous lubricant?