Monday, April 21, 2008

No Miri International Jazz Festival for Me

Above was taken during my 2005 backpacking trip in Venice, Italy (went to Florence and Rome too). As I was only roaming around in Venice in the daytime, the jazz club above was closed, only open at night. Accomodation in Venice itself is VERY expensive and at that time, I was staying at a HC member, Naila's house in Padova, about 1 hr from Venice, so no chance chilling there. I can only imagine it's like No Black Tie in Jln Nagasari last time. It took me quite some time to search for Novocento Jazz Club in Venice and it's damn fun getting lost and finding new ways in the alley-fested Venice.

As the title of the post said, I have to give the 3rd Miri International Jazz Festival (MIJF) a miss this year as my work fill up the schedule in May; a disappointment especially I managed to go to the 1st and the 2nd one. Read my post on the 2nd edition in 2007 here and here.

To those who will go, a tips for you. Don't leave the Everly Hotel so early after the show finish on the first day. Linger around at the hotel lobby or the lounge because it's VERY likely the performers are still having lots to give and they might give some unrehearsed-spontaneous sets and that's what you call JAZZ, improvised and spontaneous to the max!!! And do share your stories and photos or links here after you that!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

CK,

Jazz is not my kind of thing. In fact, come to think of it, the modern life musical entertainment as a whole isn't my kind of thing. Those good old days when music was still music, and when songs were still songs, I used to enjoy them. But as you know these days life entertainments basically mean plain noises.

Anyway, our Rotary Club will be organising a second Jazz Festival, I believe during the second half of this year. I wasn't really involved in the first one held last year, but apparently it was a huge success. If you're keen, I'll inform you when I get the confirmed date of the event.

Helen said...

Heheheh jazz also not my thing. I always get the impression jazz are a tad too classy for me. :-P

You play the saxophone or what? lol

steph said...

Heheh...jazz not for me too...not tat patient..then again, never really sit thru the whole thing at a club or smtg tho...
saxophone, tat's smtg..

CK said...

ckoh,

thanks. i think should be around august right? cox last yr is around august. i posted on it as well. the venue is superb wif breathtaking sunset. see it here

helen & steph,

not classy lah. it's just a genre of music. wish i know how to play saxaphone haha... the lesson itself cost sky high already. where got money?

CK said...

ckoh,

it's here http://atanck.blogspot.com/2007/08/kota-kinabalu-jazz-festival.html