Monday, April 28, 2008

Guest Movie Critic Blogger - My Buddy Sherry Lee

I loaned a few DVDs to my buddy during her trip back to Sandakan and here's her verdict of those movies.


the great actor, Lang Xiong 郎雄 teamed up 1st time with Ang Lee in his big screen debut. a touching family-centred story (1992)

the movie that propelled Ang Lee to stardom in the Chinese cinema. two formidable star unearthed, Zhao Wen Xuen and Jing Shu Mei, who both went on to be a respected actor, famous for portraying Sun Yat Sen and Jing went to to become a Parliamentarian in Taiwan (1993)


Star-studded cast of the Taiwanese cinema and some HK actors in this superbly crafted family comedy with a good twisty ending (1994)

This trilogy was bought in Taipei Eslite Bookstore in 2007

Tan, I finished most of your DVDs already. I love Ang Lee's collection. My fav is still the wedding banquet bcos of the comedy elements in it. Pushing hands is heart-wrecking to me, the old man live by himself & has to earn his own money by teaching tai-chi. As for eat, drink, men, women, I like the eldest sister. I hate the eldest sister's bf/husband. His P.E. attire is way beyond my acceptance.

the immensely erotic performance by Zhang Chen and Gong Li in this Wong Kar Wai short film; VERY SEXY without much nudity, that's masterclass


Eros - what can i say? WKW, gong li & Zhang chen at their best. Zhang Chen can be quite wooden sometimes but he excelled in this when he practically made love to gong li's qipao. Gong li is a powerful actress. Only she can pull off character like this. They should get a Oscar for this short film. Robert Downey Jr excelled in his role in the 2nd film. I like him. I think he's another great actor despite all his addiction problem. His stare is quite similar to al pacino's. As for the first story, it's too deep & I'm too shallow to enjoy it.

you gotta hand it to David Lynch for eccentricty and strange plot. Naomi shines here (2001) bought this in Taiwan Eslite Bookstore near Taipei 101 last year


Mulholland Dr - Though I cannot fully explain the movie but somehow it's so powerful that I have dreams abt it. Naomi & the other gal are so comfy with each other. Naomi tends to make nude scenes quite a lot.


Half nelson - it's not as good as I imagined that it would be. I don't really like it.

great Laura Linney vehicle. bought this in Hanoi, Vietnam.


P.S. - Can't play ur dvd. it happened that i bought this long time ago but misplaced it somewhere. found it during the weekend. love it. topher grace at his best. he's too baby face to play other good roles. laura, as usual, performed well.

after yearssss of searching, finally found this in Hanoi, Vietnam. earliest work of the Coen brothers and Frances McDormand, one of my fave actress.

my after thought here


Fargo - can't play the dvd which is my main frustration. just watched a bit in the beginning. william h macy is great at his role.


javier was sinfully ignored from The Best Actor in Oscar for this but luckily he got the consolation of Supporting Actor in No Country for Old Men 2008

the sea inside - javier is good. i love him. i googled the real ramon. after the make-up & everything, javier looks like him. i like how the director's way of portraying how ramon dream/imagine flying outside. i can't imagine being him. and the priest! Gosh, so hateful. I love this movie & his line that he mentioned that with his condition, he had learnt to cry by smiling when ppl asked him why he smiled a lot. it's so sad!

Thanks! Looking forward to get ur other dvds. hahah

My other posts on movies are here

No comments: