Tuesday, May 01, 2007

23rd Apr - 2nd Day Siem Reap Excursion (Angkor Wat Revisited)

Being the 2nd time in Siem Reap, yeah.. been there... done that. However, I still force myself to wake up early morning to catch that so-important sunrise watch in Angkor Wat. This time, I bought the USD40-3-day pass. The objective this time of course is to recap some of the lost moment and shot in my now-broken pics CD.
The temples caught in the column.

Too bad there're lots of lotus leaves in the small lake, hence the reflection will not be perfectly captured.

The dawn is here and I'm still fumbling with my DSLR to capture the right color. Of course, the non-high-tech-normal-lense plus my mediocre skill doesn't help.

The sun is up.

OK, seems like its done.

On the way out leaving the main Angkor Wat as it's not a good place to start the Temple Excursions. You can see everybody is rushing out, either for their morning breakfast or conquering other temples, i.e. Bayon or Ta Phrom.

Me and the apsara gazing at each other.

The headless stature in one of the temple.

My driver Mr. Wana. He picked me up in his tuk-tuk from the airport as well. He was an ex-teacher who gave up the teaching job as being a driver earns more BIGTIME than being a teacher. He told me teacher and other normal government servants only earn about USD30-50 each month, cheap salary as the way he put it. He knows a lot about the temples and its history, bombarding me knowledge and terms like the King Jayavarman VII etc... but he is very informative.

The kids at the temple. Take their picture with permission and show them the picture after you have taken them. Better if you bring some sweets or candy. They will like it.

This is Gaito, a traveller from Switzerland and stayed in Jasmine Lodge too. Nice and friendly guy.

Naga watching over the Sra Shrang.

It's scorching hot and I changed 3 times cox all my clothes were soaked wet. However, it was dried so fast; I left them with my driver when I went to explore the temples and about 1hr later, it was all dried up! Imagine the heat!!!

Taken by Angelica, an Philippino American gal I met in the temple. We chatted for quite sometime while trying to hide under some shade in the hot afternoon sun above our head. She was waiting her friend to come the next day and just do some light temple-exploring.

The black and white apsara.

Ta Phrom is known for the fact that the Tomb Raider was filmed here, well who knows it's also the place where Jolie found her Maddox (ok.. just joking). Ta Phrom is well known for its structure-deforming tree trunks around the temples creating so many photo-taking opportunities. This also means that the whole temple will be filled with people, destroying the tranquility and serene ambience.

Me at Ta Phrom.

Me in another shot in Ta Phrom.

The Bayon temple, known for its carved faces.

Kissing the cloud? The famous Bayon temple faces.

Taken at Bayon.

The small kid in Bayon. His family is busy with a palm-reading, future-predicting and blessing-dispensing monk inside the temple.

Angkor Wat in the 3pm light. (Oh thanks Pueh Tian for telling me about the nice light at 3pm). OK, some spoilers on the next post... something happened that changed the scene above 2 days later.

Me with the Angkor Wat as background. Yeah... the tan is getting there.

The pillar near the bus-relief around the wall of the Angkor Wat. I remembered that Mr. Wana, my guide mentioned something about the carvings of the Buddhists were either taken off or being modified such as the one above, with the beard added to reflect the Hindu influences.

The monkey is acting like a welcome-brigade for those who successfully climbed up the highest temple in the Angkor Wat.

OK, I have the treasure hunt interest ingrained inside me hence I was looking for this smiling buck-teeth apsara after Pueh Tian told me about it. It was rare and the only one available in the whole of Angkor Wat. All the other apsara are smiling coyly but this one is showing teeth.
Find it!!!

On my way back, passing the Borticello auditorium where a violinist will be performing for donation for the Children Hospital every Saturday. So, if you are in Siem Reap on Saturday, do your part; enjoy the music and give some donation.

My dinner place, 1-minute walk from Jasmine Lodge.

My favourite Angkor Amok with spring rolls and Lao Beer.

The name is Silk Lounge Cafe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great photos of Angkor..... really spurred me to go visit someday. But wil definitely have to UPGRADE my Digicam to a so called more Professional one loh.....or will miss the scenic view.