Friday, May 25, 2007

Thanks to Star Movie - House of the D and Crazy/Beautiful

What is the saving grace to the lonely nights in hotel room during outstation? Of course it's the hotel TV, IF they have enough channels to burn away the boredome. I suffered the lack of TV channels in Lahad Datu 2 days ago which eventually led me to miss the American Idol (OK, enough rant about tat....)


But in Tawau, the hotel fared a bit better with Star Movie, Phoenix and Sports in addition to TV1, TV2 n TV3. However it was different when I stayed here previously as it has tonnes of channels from Indonesia and China. This is the same hotel where I watched Zhang Yi Mou's and Stephen Chow's dubbed in Indon!!! I guess they changed it due to the regulations of the illegality of the kuali.


Watched starred MJ, the Mary Jane in Spiderman, Kirsten Dunst. Not a conventional beauty, she is captivating in with her character as a rich spoilt brat indulged in alcohol and reckless driving while Jay Hernandez is as "sweetly-innocent-Latino-poor-kid" as the character needs him to be in the movie. Typical storyline but fueled with just-right acting from both Dunst and Hernandez, the movie is quite good. Oh, crazy refers to Dunst and beautiful to Hernandez in the movie.


I remember saw the DVD of but never buy it. It was directed and written by David Duchovny (yeah... the X-file guy) who last I saw was in with Julianne Moore, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Billy Crudup. It was a coming-of-age growing up story about an American guy who escaped to Paris to avoid all the turmoil in NY. Starred Tea Leoni as his younger character mother, Robin Williams also play an important role in the movie as Tommy's (Duchovny's character) best pal who was 41 yo and mentally challenged. Not really a fresh take of the similar type kinda story but it does have its feel good moments. Good watch actually.


Robin Williams character, Pappas said something like this, "I have changed too. I was retarded before. After that it was changed to mentally challenged. Then mentally disabled"



This brings me to mind about an article I read in The Star by Wong Sai Wan about the PC syndrome. Has we become so PC (oh... by the way, it means politically-correct) aware nowadays? Not to say I'm entirely agree with what Wong said but go and read his article.



http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/5/25/focus/17808067&sec=focus

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, i watched that Crazy/Beautiful as well in Kuching last week. I think that's what ppl do when travel alone.. haha. TV is our best friend!!

Lily

CK said...

Haha... I think it's the same week in StarMovie lah my friend!